Thursday, November 19, 2009

Actual experience of foot pain is humbling and enlightening






I have proudly sold Pedag orthotic insoles for many years. Pedag says that the right orthotic can "help prevent and relieve” many painful foot problems including plantar fasciitis. I do not think I ever really understood what this meant until the past year. For the past year I have been in treatment for plantar fasciitis. I now finally understand the role insoles play in the treatment and prevention of foot problems. I know that Pedag insoles alone could never have "cured" me of Plantar fasciitis, a very painful, scary and debilitating condition.
In January 2009 I began to experience my first symptoms. A stinging sensation along the back edge of my right heel which developed in about 2 months, into pain located on my entire right heel. At first the pain was bearable and all I did about my problem was to wear good athletic shoes and sport sandals. I think I must have been embarrassed because the problem is often weight related or due to aging. Both, of which describe me! In July, after a two week summer vacation spent sightseeing in NYC, I came home with a right heel so inflamed I could not walk.
I finally went to a podiatrist who, indeed, diagnosed Plantar Fasciitis. For the past 3 months I have been in treatment for this condition and I am happy to say that I am much better. I know the symptoms can flare up again but I also know treatment helps enormously so I will not wait so long next time.

Here is what worked for me and what I would now advise: 1. See a podiatrist immediately. Do not wait till the scar tissue and inflammation builds up because the whole problem will be harder to treat. My podiatrist injected my heel with cortisone to reduce the inflammation. I needed two series of injections because one was simply not enough in my case. Almost immediately I had a huge reduction in pain. 2. I showed my podiatrist one of our orthotics (Holiday) and he said,"Honestly, any orthotic that firmly supports the plantar vault and works for you is fine. You do not need a custom made orthotic because there is no great physical deformity of your foot". I now wear one of our semi-rigid orthotic insoles every day. 3. I wear a night splint that keeps the plantar ligament stretched out over night. I did not have terrible pain in the morning when first walking on my foot but for many people this is a defining symptom of Plantar Fasciitis. 4. I spent 6 weeks in twice weekly physical therapy sessions getting deep tissue ultrasound and hand massage of the tissue in my right heel.

As of now, I will need to see my podiatrist again soon because I still feel some pain and I am afraid to walk too much because I do not want to inflame the situation. I think he will inject me again. According to my podiatrist, unlike other cortisone injections which can only be given once a year or less, injections in the foot can be given much more frequently. I also use an exercise bike instead of walking or using a treadmill and I wear my orthotic at all times. In the house I used to go barefoot. Not anymore. I always wear supportive shoes now even at home. What a humbling but enlightening experience! I now know, from painful personal experience, that an orthotic is only one tool in the treatment of plantar fasciitis.
Could I have prevented all this? In my youth I wore any shoe I wanted and really did not care about the future of my feet. But I have only worn “good” shoes for the past 20 years or so. I did not wear an orthotic because I did not have pain or problems with my feet. But, a supportive orthotic is also a tool for prevention of plantar fasciitis because it can help prevent stretching and tearing of the plantar ligament.
So, for those of you who have plantar fasciitis: With proper treatment you will feel better and an orthotic is only one necessary part to your treatment.
For those of you who do not (yet) have plantar fasciitis: Beware! Wear good, supportive shoes and consider wearing a supportive orthotic before symptoms start.

Pedag recommends: Holiday Art 179, Viva Art 187, Master Art 186, Vitality Art 18306, Pro-Active XCO Art 18147 as orthotics that offer the support you need to help prevent and relieve the pain of Plantar fasciitis.


All the best to you,
Rose



3 comments:

  1. Great blog, Pedag! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my insoles. I've used different inserts before, but after a while, they get smelly and mushy. The pedag VIVA insoles that I use now is super comfortable and I can walk all day without aching feet.

    Thanks!
    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan! We love you too!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heel pain is killing me , i need this product in pakistan.

    ReplyDelete